June 22, 2010

Street Cart Tour

If you didn't know, PDX is becoming renowned for it's street cart culture. In the past year alone I have seen more articles about street carts in PDX than almost any other food scene here. So I am compelled to start a mission: trying out street cart fare at least once a month. I know, there are a lot of carts and only trying one a month would result in a long term commitment to finding the best of the best, but hey, I plan on being here for a while.

My first PDX food cart experience was at the Grilled Cheese Grill. We went here after a morning of zip lining and it was DELICIOUS! I had the Jalapeno Popper- roasted jalapenos, colby cheese, and cream cheese. I 86'd the tortilla chips in favor of avocado and it was the right decision. Some in our group got the Cheesus. It is a burger sandwiched between two grilled cheese sandwiches. Yes, a heart attack on a plate! But with some cold beer, it was soooooo good.

This afternoon I decided to take advantage of the sunshine and headed out to a Bento food cart. It was off of SE Milwauke and it was pretty delicious. I had the lemongrass pork with yakisoba noodles and vegetables. At the delivery window they have an assortment of sauces of which I feel the peanut sauce was the best.

So I am setting out on a mission to get better acquainted with the food carts of PDX. I've got a couple of resources to point me in the right direction but if you have a fave food cart, let me know.

Gourmet Mag- PDX Street Carts

Bon Appetit- PDX Street Carts

Portland Monthly- Street Carts


UPDATE: Portland was just voted #1 by Budget Travel for the world's best street food because of their food carts! Gotta start going!Worlds Best Street Food

No comments:

Post a Comment