August 17, 2010

If it's an Heirloom does that mean it's old?

Living in PDX had given me a new perspective on produce. You've heard me go on and on about all of the neighborhood farmer's markets but the truth is that I've never been more connected to the seasonality of a regions produce as I am here. I make it a point to get out to the farmer's markets every other week or so to see what is fresh and get inspired to create healthy dishes with what is available.

One of my favorite produce items are heirloom tomatoes. They look like something that's come through a nuclear war with odd shapes, strange colors, and a range of sizes. They are beautiful in their variations and I usually end up picking them based on color more than anything else (which I am sure is not the best way). Inevitably I take them home and make bruschetta, tomato salad, and anything else I can toss them into and liven up with their many varied colors.

But what are heirloom tomatoes? Why do they look like something from another planet? And what's up with other produce that claims to be 'heirloom'. Well CNN's new food blog: Eatocracy had a great entry and I thought it gave a great explanation on what this all means.

Once we get a place with a yard I am going to try my hand at growing heirloom tomatoes and a slew of herbs!

No comments:

Post a Comment